UGANDA KINGS AND CULTURAL LEADERS FORUM (UKCL)
Address: P.O. BOX 193, HOIMA, UGANDA
Phone: +256 -392 841 216
Type of the Organisation: Company Limited by guarantee with no share capital
Chairperson: His Majesty Rukirabasaija Agutamba Solomon Gafabusa Iguru I.
1. Executive Summary
Uganda Kings and Cultural Leaders Forum has been in operation since its inception by various Kings and Cultural Leaders in Uganda in November 2009. It consists of the following membership: Kingdoms and Cultural Institutions of Bunyoro, Toro, Buganda, Ker Alur, Busoga, Alur Kwong, Ker Acholi, Lango, Teso, Rwenzururu, Bunyala, Buruli, Jopadhola, Bugisu, Ankole, and Koki. By the year ending December 2010, the Directors have established several programs including the Secretariat, which has focused strengthening the Forum institutional capacity in the areas of management of the secretariat, financial management, personnel/human resource, service delivery, partnership and external relations. Unfortunately, the challenge of lacking funds for Forum activities has persisted.
The Board of Directors convened a meeting in March 2010 at Masindi Hotel and made a commitment to fight negative cultural practices that compromise peoples’ conscience in fighting HIV/AIDS. Thanks to His Majesty Solomon Gafabusa Iguru I, for recognizing the importance of working with other Kings and Cultural Leaders, even those who are still in the process of being recognized by the government of Uganda. These include the Lugbara, the Alur (Kwong), and the Ankore cultural institutions.
The National Royal Secretariat was established in Hoima Municipal Council to coordinate the activities of the Forum. Once again, we wish to thank His Majesty the Omukama of Bunyoro-Kitara who offered a building for this purpose and other utilities.
2. Legal Status
Uganda Kings and Cultural Leaders Forum Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee with no share capital. It is registered under The Companies Act, Cap 110, and registration number 113549, dated November 13, 2009.
3. The vision
An innovative and creative association of cultural institutions, building unity in diversity an atmosphere for peace and development of the peoples of Uganda, and Africa at large.
4. The mission
To be a forum for the leaders of cultural institutions as a catalyst for human solidarity and development through mobilization of the subjects, advocacy and lobby unto Governments and Development Partners for socioeconomic enhancement, and propagate the principle and practice of unity in diversity as a prerequisite for international justice and peace.
5. The objectives of the Association
The aims and objectives of the Forum shall be
- To bring together all willing Kings; traditional leaders to enable them advocate and act as one voice on critical social cultural and development issues or needs for the benefit of their subjects.
- To promote and support research, documentation preservation of culture, languages, customs and the entire cultural heritage of member institutions/kingdoms.
- To create and facilitate a secretariat to handle and coordinate the day to day activities and collective programmes of the member kingdoms, chiefdoms and cultural institutions and to disseminate and receive information in a professional and timely manner.
- To encourage and promote social, economic and cultural exchanges and sharing of experiences through intra-inter kingdom, chiefdom and cultural institution exchange meeting, conferences, etc.
- To work for co-operation and promotion of unity amongst all citizens of Uganda, East Africa, the entire African Continent and the international Community.
- To cultivate healthy, productive and beneficial partnership between the member cultural institutions collectively and the state, development partners, the mass media and other stakeholders.
- To promote peace, reconciliation and harmonious ethnic co-existence in Uganda and arbitrate in conflict resolution amongst members and any other parties.
- To guide the state on cultural issues and mobilize collectively for development of all subjects through collective development programmes as well as seeking development partners and stakeholders in facilitating and assisting in implementation.
- To propagates the principle and practices regarding the value of land to all stakeholders and protect land rights by continuously advocating for correction of historical errors and addressing contemporary distortions to avoid and/or mitigate conflicts for benefit of prosperity.
- To undertake all such actions in consultation with the members aimed at the promotion of the Forum objectives.